a website collaboration between Science Service and the Smithsonian Institution

1937 - five of the ten units of oil-filled switchgear built for the Chicago District Electric Generating Co.

OIL FILLED SWITCHGEAR

CD 2055087 E&MP10.005

Dynamos

about 1937

Five of the ten units of oil-filled switchgear built for the Chicago District Electric Generating Corporation by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company.

Since all “live” conductors are encased in tubular shells filled with oil, operators may climb over the equipment with perfect safety even when it is carrying its full electrical load.

Use of oil as an insulator allows a saving of two-thirds of the space occupied by equipment of equal capacity but of conventional design. 


Original Caption by Science Service
©Westinghouse



National Museum of American History

Home

Search - Site Map - Subjects to Choose From - Numbering Format

Credits - Copyright - Comments