October 10, 1933
Testing out a new invention to minimize pain in dentistry, Louise Lincoln of the San Carlo Grand Opera Company gives an initial tryout to the "silent gramaphone," invented by Dr. Adolph Erdman (right) of Brooklyn.
The treatment was administered with the assistance of Dr. G. M. Smith (left), noted Chicago dentist, before the National Congress of Anesthetists meeting at the Congress hotel.
(By a staff photographer)
Original Caption by Science Service