COLLISION WARNING RADAR
Radar - Parts
May 12, 1952
Commander M.A. Mason, Head of the Navy Bureau of Aeronautics Radar Section, and Mr. W.B. Kirkpatrick (right), Manager, RCA Government Radar Unit, examine the simplified control box for the Navy's new lightweight collision warning radar.
On either side of the control box are shown the pilot and navigator's indicator scopes.
These scopes, capable of "mapping" an area up to 400 miles in diameter, receive the radar signals warning pilots of any obstacle in their path.
The new radar, which is being acclaimed as a major step forward in promoting flight safety, is being produced under Navy contract for both Navy and Air Force transport planes by the RCA Victor Division of the Radio Corporation of America.
It may also be used in the future by commercial airlines.
U.S. Navy Photo No. NPC9005
Original Caption by Science Service