a website collaboration between Science Service and the Smithsonian Institution

ca. 1949 - The antenna for the first experimental commercial Radar being christened by Miss Radar of the Great Lakes (Mrs. Harriet Anderson of Buffalo)as Captain Harold Jocobson, skipper of the S.S. JOHN T. HUCTHINSON - newest and one of the largest of the Lakes fleet - dodges spray

COLLISION WARNING RADAR

E&MP 103.066

Radar

ca. 1949

WESTERN ELECTRIC RADAR FIRST ON GREAT LAKES FLEET

The antenna for the first experimental commercial Radar being christened by Miss Radar of the Great Lakes (Mrs. Harriet Anderson of Buffalo) as Captain Harold Jocobson, skipper of the S.S. JOHN T. HUCTHINSON - newest and one of the largest of the Lakes fleet - dodges spray.

The Western Electric Radar was especially designed by Bell Telephone Laboratories as part of a Radar program sponsored by the Lakes Carriers Association.

The christening ceremony aboard the S.S. JOHN T. HUCTHINSON took place on April 24th in Buffalo Harbor and was attended by numerous city and Company officials including: Mayor Bernard J. Dowd of Buffalo; Hon. Kneeland B. Wilkes, president of the Buffalo City Council; Chairman Roy B. Brockett, Erie County Board of Supervisors; S.P. Taylor, manager, Distributor Sales, Western's Radio Div.; J.S. Ward, communications manager W.E. Radio Div.; President Daniel Streeter, Buffalo Chamber of Commerce; Fred C. Boyd, district manager, New York Telephone Company; and Albert J. Simmer, Buffalo, manager of the Lakes Carriers Assn.

It is expected that Radar will save millions of dollars annually for Great Lakes' ship owners and shippers in lost time and accidents.

11742

Original Caption by Science Service
© Western Electric



National Museum of American History

Home

Search - Site Map - Subjects to Choose From - Numbering Format

Credits - Copyright - Comments