a website collaboration between Science Service and the Smithsonian Institution

no date - original railroad depot at Relay, MD.

EXPERIMENTAL STATION

E&MP128.008

Telegraph

no date

This is the old railroad depot at Relay, Md., twenty-eight miles north of Washington, where Morse and his associates tested their new telegraph line before it was completed all the way the capital to Baltimore. The first telegram ever sent, "What Hath God Wrought!" was dispatched by Morse between the two cities on May 24, 1844, a hundred years ago.


Original Caption by Science Service
N.W. Ayer & Son, Inc.

 



National Museum of American History

Home

Search - Site Map - Subjects to Choose From - Numbering Format

Credits - Copyright - Comments